Dogs and cats past the age of seven are prone to debilitating ailments as they age, such as kidney failure, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, dental disease, cancer and cognitive dysfunction.
Catching problems early is often the best way to prevent them from becoming more serious. Annual wellness exams are important in this process.
Early warning signs that your older pet may have health issues:
- Increased thirst and urination
- Loss of bladder control or noncompliance with house training
- Repeated vomiting
- Bad breath, drooling, or changes in appetite
- Excessive panting or exercise intolerance
- Lumps or changes in areas of skin color
- Changes in appetite such as eating more or less than usual
- Changes in behavior such as confusion, disorientation or excessive whining
- Unusual bowel habits such as diarrhea or constipation
- Gaining or losing weight
Our Senior Pet Exams include:
- A physical, where your veterinarian will check for any abnormalities
- Diagnostic lab work, such as performing blood work, urine tests, and fecal exams. These tests help assure that your pet is truly healthy on the inside as well as the outside. They can also uncover a medical problem while it is in the early stages and may not be showing obvious symptoms. This allows us to treat, and hopefully cure earlier, without invasive measures.
- Additional diagnostics may include glaucoma testing and chest x-rays
Call our office today at (269) 349-6060 to set up a wellness visit for your senior furry friend. Let us help make your older pet feel young again!